- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- dashes of vegetable oil
- 4 rashers of smokedback bacon, finely sliced
- 150 g mature cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 slices of day-old sourdough bread, or crusty bread
- sea salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 3 jarred roasted peppers, cut into long strips
1. Preheat a grill until hot.
2. Put the cauliflower into a large Pyrex bowl and cover with cling film. Cook on full power in a microwave for 4-5 minutes until tender.
3. Pour a dash of oil into a non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Drain well on kitchen paper.
4. Place the cheddar and crème fraîche in a bowl suspended over a pan of gently simmering water. Allow to heat gently and stir well to form a smooth sauce.
5. Toast one side of the sourdough bread under the preheated grill.
6. Drain the cauliflower and tip into a large bowl. Using a hand-blender, blitz to form a very rough puree.
7. Gently fold in the cheese sauce, followed by the crispy bacon. Season with a pinch of sea salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper and mix thoroughly.
8. Smother the un-toasted side of each slice of bread with a quarter of the cheese and cauliflower mixture. Finish with criss-cross strips of the pepper.
9. Finally place under the hot grill for 1-2 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe