- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus marinating and resting
- Effort: easy
For the lamb
- 1 leg of lamb
- 1 bunches rosemary
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 6 cloves garlic
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
For the roasted vegetables
- 2 large bulbs fennel, trimmed & cut into chunks
- 2 bunches baby carrots, trimmed
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp honey
- splashes olive oil
The salsa verde
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp finely chopped capers
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the champ
- 2 kg floury potatoes
- 200 g butter, such as Lescure
- 250 ml cream
- 1 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- lemon wedges
1. For the lamb score the lamb in diagonal lines about 4cm apart cutting all the way down to the bone. Now cut again in the opposite direction to create a criss cross pattern. This will help the meat to cook more quickly.
2. Using a pestle and mortar, pound the rosemary, fennel seeds, garlic, chilli flakes and oregano together to form a thick paste. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Rub the mix over the leg of lamb and marinade for at least one hour, preferably over night.
4. Remove the lamb from the fridge and bring back to room temperature before cooking.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan/gas 5.
6. For the salsa verde mix all the ingredients together and add a little salt and pepper to taste, set aside until needed.
7. For the roasted vegetables place the vegetables in a roasting tray, scatter on the rosemary and drizzle with honey and olive oil.
8. Put the lamb leg into a separate roasting tray and cook both for 30 minutes.
remove from the oven cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes while the vegetables continue to cook. They should be golden brown and tender.
10. For the champ boil the potatoes for around 10 minutes until cooked, drain and then mash or put through a potato ricer. Place back on the heat and whisk in the butter and milk to form a smooth mash. Add the chopped spring onions & season with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
11. Serve with lemon wedges.
Rate This Recipe