- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 5 quince, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4-5 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks, snapped
- 75 g sugar
For the crumble topping:
- 225 g plain flour
- 115 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Place the quince, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add just enough water to cover the quinces.
3. Bring to the boil, then mix in the sugar.
4. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover and increase the heat.
5. Simmer the quince uncovered until the liquid thickens into a syrup, around 15-20 minutes.
6. Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked quince to a buttered ovenproof dish, discarding any cloves and cinnamon sticks.
7. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the quince syrup, again discarding any cloves and cinnamon sticks. Allow to cool.
8. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
9. To make the topping, place the flour in a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Mix in 75g of sugar.
10. Spread the topping mixture over the cooked quince and smooth down.
11. Mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the crumble.
12. Bake the crumble for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm from the oven.
Rate This Recipe