- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 rabbit, cleaned
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves removed and peeled
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 300 ml vegetable oil, approximate quantity
For the salad
- 1 kohlrabi
- 2 jerusalem artichokes, boiled
- 1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pink grapefruit, segmented
For the prawns
- 6 tiger prawns, shelled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp medlar jelly
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas1/2. Cut the rabbit into 4 pieces by removing the fore quarter from the hind quarter and splitting each section into 2 pieces.
2. Place the carrot, celery, onion, leek, garlic and mustard seeds in a casserole pan. Add the rabbit pieces and cover with vegetable oil. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes, until the rabbit is tender. Switch off the oven.
3. Leave the dish to cool in the oven, and when at room temperature, remove the rabbit meat from the bone and shred. Strain the vegetables from the oil and puree into a smooth paste. Set aside.
4. For the salad; finely shred the colrabi and artichokes using a mandolin if you have one - this ensures extra-fine shreds. Combine with the horseradish, and add the olive oil and grapefruit segments.
5. Peel and de-vein the tiger prawns and fry in a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until they turn colour. Remove from the pan.
6. For the dressing, combine 1 tbsp of medlar jelly with the lime zest and juice, and crushed garlic. Warm over a gentle heat until melted and whisk in the olive oil and chillies.
7. Spoon the vegetable puree onto a plate and heap the colrabi salad on top. Combine the prawns, rabbit and enough dressing to moisten, and pile on top of the vegetables. Drizzle any remaining dressing around the plate and serve.
Rate This Recipe