- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the spring rolls
- 450 g rabbit
- 50 g bean sprouts
- 5 cm piece fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, stems only
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- 12 sheets spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the dressing
- 150 g sugar
- 200 ml rice vinegar
- 150 ml light soy sauce
- 2 limes, juice only
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- pinches star anise, powder
- 1 clove garlic
For the salad
- ½ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- coriander leaves
- limes, wedges
1. For the spring rolls: mix together all of the spring roll ingredients in a bowl, except for the wrappers and egg, until well combined.
2. Lay a spring roll wrapper on the work surface and spoon some of the filling into the centre. Draw in the sides of the wrapper, then roll upwards, sealing the ends with the beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling, until you have 12 spring rolls.
3. Half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with the vegetable oil and heat to 180C/355F. Deep-fry the spring rolls in small batches for 6-8 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. For the dressing: bring the sugar and vinegar to the boil in a non-reactive pan, then simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until thickened and syrupy. Take off the heat and add the remaining dressing ingredients. Set aside to cool.
5. For the salad: toss all of the salad ingredients together, then drizzle over the dressing and mix well to coat evenly.
6. To serve, pile the salad onto serving plates and place the spring rolls on top. Garnish with coriander leaves and lime wedges.
Rate This Recipe