- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the rabbit
- 6 rabbit legs, cleaned and boned
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 50 g butter
- 500 g lard, melted
For the polenta
- 1.2 litres milk
- 125 g polenta flour
For the radicchio
- 2 heads radicchio, (radicchio trevisano if available)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. For the rabbit: preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1.
2. Wrap each rabbit leg in 2 slices of prosciutto. Heat half the oil in a large shallow casserole over a medium heat. Fry the rabbit legs until they start to colour. Add the butter, turn the legs in it and fry for another 2 minutes.
3. Cover the legs completely in the melted lard, cover with foil and cook very gently in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes - 2 hours or until very tender. Keep the legs in the lard until ready to serve.
4. For the polenta: put the milk in a large pan (it should only half fill it) with a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
5. Whisk in the polenta (put it in a large jug so that it can be poured in a steady stream) and cook until it completely blends and starts to bubble. Turn down the heat as low as possible and cook for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. For the radicchio: cut the radicchio into three and season with salt and pepper. Brush with the olive oil and cook on a medium-hot griddle pan until wilted.
7. Spoon the polenta onto the centre of each plate and put the radicchio next to it. Sit the rabbit leg on top of the polenta and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe