- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 125 g lardons thickly-cut bacon, cooked until crisp
- 4-6 baby onions, such as silver skins, or small shallots, cooked and caramelised slightly, cut in half
- 1 French-style baguette
- 6-8 small gherkins or cornichons, sliced in three lengthways
- 200 g Swiss or French raclette cheese, thickly sliced
1. Heat a small heavy-based frying pan and fry the lardons until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the onions or shallots to the pan and cook gently in the bacon fat until softened and slightly caramelised. Remove from the pan and cut each one in half.
3. Split the baguette in half lengthways and toast the open sides under a grill until just golden.
4. Layer on the cornichons or gherkins, baby onions and lardons. Top each slice with raclette and put back under the grill until the cheese melts and starts to brown on top.
5. Remove from the grill, cut into slices and serve.
Rate This Recipe