- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 large head radicchio, (radicchio trevisano if available)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300 g superfino carnaroli rice
- 250 ml red wine
- 750 ml hot chicken or vegetable stock, preferably home-made
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Make sure the rice is hot before adding the wine. Keep the stock at boiling point so the rice does not stop cooking when you add it.
1. Slice the radicchio in half lengthways. Set one piece aside. Slice the other piece crossways into 2cm strips.
2. Heat the oil and half the butter in a heavy-based casserole over medium heat. Add the onion and cook very slowly for 5-7 minutes until soft. Stir in the sliced radicchio and the rice. Stir for a few minutes until the rice is heated through and coated with oil and butter.
3. Pour in the wine and stir for a few minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
4. Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir until absorbed. Continue to add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously, until all the stock is absorbed - about 15-17 minutes. When cooked, the rice should be 'al dente' - tender but firm in the centre.
5. While the rice is cooking, preheat a stove-top griddle pan over medium-high heat. Season the reserved piece of radicchio with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Place on the griddle and cook, turning, for 7-10 minutes, until tender. Lower the heat towards the end of cooking time.
6. When the risotto is ready, remove from heat and leave to stand for 1 minute.
7. Stir in the Parmesan and the remaining butter. Stir vigorously to ensure an even coating.
8. Slice the chargrilled radicchio and serve on top of the rice.
Rate This Recipe