- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 175 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
- 75 g polenta, quick-cooking
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 250 g raspberries
For the syrup
- 2 lemons, juice and grated zest
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Lightly butter a 15 cm diameter cake tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the almonds, vanilla extract and eggs and mix well. Mix in the lemon rind and juice, polenta and baking powder.
4. Fold in the raspberries. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, until risen and golden.
5. To make the sauce, pour the lemon juice into a small pan and add the caster sugar and water. Heat, over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Simmer gently for 3 - 4 minutes, until the mixture becomes a thickish syrup.
7. When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and cool slightly before pouring two thirds of the syrup over the cake.
8. Serve the cake in slices, with a little extra syrup drizzled over. Finish with a dusting of icing sugar, a dollop of crème fraiche, and a few fresh raspberries.
Rate This Recipe