- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling and chilling
- Effort: medium
- 225 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 11 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 punnets raspberries
- 2 eggs
- 120 g caster sugar
- 250 ml double cream
For the syrup:
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 20 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- sprigs mint
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Finely roll out the pastry and use it to line a 20cm circular loose-based flan tin, allowing some overhang. Lightly prick the base with a fork.
3. Cover the pastry case with cling film and fill with baking beans.
4. Blind bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the cling film and baking beans. Trim the edges and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
5. Beat one egg yolk and the water together. Brush the pastry case with the egg yolk mixture to glaze the pastry.
6. Place the raspberries around the bottom of the pastry case. Glaze the raspberries with the egg yolk mixture.
7. Place the raspberry-filled pastry case in the oven. Bake for 2 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining egg yolks, the 2 whole eggs and the caster sugar, mixing thoroughly.
9. Bring the cream to the boil in a saucepan. Pour the hot cream over the egg mixture, whisking in as you do so. Pass through a sieve into a large bowl.
10. Pour the egg mixture into the pastry case, being careful not to displace the raspberries.
11. Reduce the oven temperature to 120ºC/gas 1/2. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set.
12. Remove from oven, cool and chill.
13. To make the syrup place the raspberries, caster sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer to a syrup consistency. Pass through a sieve and allow to cool.
14. To serve, place a slice of tart on a plate and spoon the syrup around . Garnish each serving with raspberries and a sprig of mint.
Rate This Recipe