- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling time and freezing time
- Effort: medium
For the ice cream
- 60 g cashew nuts, very finely ground
- 200 g frozen raspberries
- 250 ml soya custard
- 4 tbsp brandy, (40% proof)
- 100 ml soya cream
- 60 g caster sugar
- 70 g white marzipan
For the palmier biscuits
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon, zest only, very finely grated
- 185 g ready rolled puff pastry
1. For the ice cream: put the ground cashews, 100g raspberries (leave the rest to defrost in the fridge), soya custard, brandy, soya cream and caster sugar into a liquidiser and blend. Add a few cubes of marzipan at a time and blend.
2. Pass the ice cream mixture through a sieve and put into an ice cream maker or a freezable container. Freeze the mixture; it will remain a little soft ready for serving.
3. For the palmiers: Set aside 2 tablespoons of sugar. Evenly mix the remaining sugar and lemon zest. Generously sprinkle the work surface with some of the lemon sugar and place the pastry onto it.
4. Sprinkle more lemon sugar over half of the pastry, then fold in the other half to form a rough square. Gently press the pastry to help seal in the sugar.
5. Sprinkle with more sugar and fold the pastry, this time the other way to form a rectangle. Roll out the pastry to make a long rectangle, about 25 x 10cm. With the long edge towards you, fold each side to the centre. Without turning the pastry, fold the sides again into the centre. Now fold in half from right to left, so that the two halves of folded pastry are on top of each other. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6.
6. Unwrap the chilled pastry, cut a very thin slice from each end and discard. Cut into 1cm slices, 8 in all. Carefully roll each slice in the remaining sugar. Place cut side down on the lined baking tray, spacing well apart. Bake for 10 ' 15 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 5 minutes, until both sides are golden.
7. Place on a wire rack to cool. Serve two palmiers per portion with two scoops of ice cream and garnish with the remaining raspberries and their juice.
© Marise Maddison 2008, recipe created for Cordon Vert. Visit www.cordonvert.co.uk
to find more recipes.
Rate This Recipe