- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 10 minutes plus overnight cooking
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 500 g caster sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 10 squares white chocolate, broken in pieces
- 250 ml double cream, whipped
- 3-4 punnets raspberries
For the caramel glaze:
- 200 g caster sugar
- 125 ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Spread the sugar out evenly on a large baking tray. Put the tray in the oven for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites on a high speed until stiff, preferably using a standing mixer.
4. Set the mixer to a low speed and gradually start adding in the sugar in a thin stream. Continue to beat at low speed until all the sugar has been fully mixed in and the mixture is thick.
5. Line the baking tray with baking parchment. Using a large spoon, palette knife or piping bag, spoon the meringue mixture onto the baking parchment, making a large circle. While you do so, create a 'lip' so that the edge of the circle is slightly higher than the central base.
6. Put in the oven, turn off the heat and leave overnight.
7. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl set over boiling water. Spread inside the meringue so that it covers the base.
8. Place the meringue on cake stand and spread with the whipped double cream. Scatter the raspberries over the cream.
9. For the caramel glaze: put the sugar and water in a small heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, and boil until a light caramel colour (150C on a sugar thermometer).
10. Spoon the caramel over the raspberries.
Rate This Recipe