- Serves: Makes 12 swirls
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 75 g caster sugar
- 75 g butter, diced
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml whole milk
- 2 heaped tbsp raspberry jam or marmalade
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Tips and Suggestions
If using butter straight from the fridge, you can grate it into the flour and mix it without having to rub it in. Also, dont spread over too much of the jam as it will splurge out and make a horrible mess!
1. Preheat oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
2. Sift the flour and the baking powder into a large bowl. Add the salt and caster sugar and mix together. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. In another bowl, whisk two of the eggs with the milk. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in most of the egg and milk. Using one hand, held firmly in a claw shape, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl to form a soft and quite sticky dough, adding more egg and milk if necessary. (You may not need all of the egg and milk mixture.)
4. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, dust with more flour and gently roll out into a 1cm/1/2in thick rectangle approximately 30cm/12in long and 18cm/7in wide.
5. Spread the raspberry jam over the top to cover the surface. With the longest side facing you, roll up the dough away from you, to resemble a swiss roll.
6. Cut the finished log into 12 slices. Place slightly apart on a greased baking tray, cut side up, sprinkle with the granulated sugar and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe