- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour resting time
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 250 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 egg yolk
- 200 g raspberries, to serve
For the cr'me patissi're
- 400 ml milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to serve
1. For the pastry: tip the flour, salt, icing sugar and butter into a bowl and quickly and lightly rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips.
2. When it resembles very fine breadcrumbs, make a well in the middle, add the egg yolk and a few drops of cold water and mix together.
3. Bring the pastry together into a ball, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
4. For the crême patissière: while the pastry is chilling, heat the milk in a large saucepan over a gentle heat, taking care not to let it boil.
5. Pour the egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and vigorously whisk in the sugar until the mixture turns pale and doubles in volume.
6. When the milk is hot and almost boiling, pour it onto the egg yolks and sugar, add the flour and gently mix to combine.
7. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the mixture to cool in the pan before transferring to the fridge to chill thoroughly.
8. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured work surface to about 4mm thick. Use the pastry to line the base and sides of a 22cm diameter flan tin, trimming off any excess.
9. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans or rice then bake blind for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the paper and beans and leave to cool.
10. When the pastry is cool, fill with the crême patissière and top with the raspberries, arranging them closely together to almost completely cover the crême patissière.
11. Dust the raspberries with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe