- Serves: 8-10
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 14 hours standing time
- Effort: medium
- 375 g raspberries
- 110 g caster sugar
- 60 ml brandy
- 60 ml maraschino, kirsch or Cointreau
- about 750 g pan di Spagna, sponge cake, Madeira cake or pound cakes, sliced
- 250 ml double cream
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 45 g darkest chocolate, finely chopped
- sifted icing sugar, to decorate
1. Combine the raspberries with the sugar in a bowl and set aside for a couple of hours, then drain off and discard any liquid.
2. Mix the brandy and maraschino or other liqueur, set aside 2 tablespoons of this mixture and sprinkle the remainder over the raspberries.
3. Line a pudding basin or hemispherical bowl of about 1.5 litre capacity with cling film. Cut the slices of pan di Spagna or other cake into long thin triangles and use to line the bowl, overlapping neatly and leaving no holes. Sprinkle generously with some of the reserved alcohol mixture.
4. Whisk the double cream until it holds its shape. Stir in the ricotta, then gently fold in the raspberries and chocolate.
5. Fill the sponge-lined bowl with the raspberry cream mixture.
6. Once the bowl is filled, cover with more pieces of pan di Spagna or other cake, and sprinkle over the last of the alcohol.
7. Cover with the cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
8. Just before serving, take the zucotto out of the fridge, unmould and peel off the cling film. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe