- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 3 courgettes, cubed
- 1 kg tomatoes, skinned and de-seeded, or 1 x 400g jar passata
- sprigs thyme
- sprigs rosemary
For the crumble topping
- 100 g chilled salted butter, finely diced
- 150 g plain flour
- 80 g parmesan, grated
- 50 g pine kernels, toasted
- green salad, to serve (optional)
1. For the ratatouille: heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Tip in the aubergine and red and green peppers and fry for 5 minutes until softened then stir in the courgettes, tomatoes and herbs and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
3. For the crumble: while the ratatouille is cooking, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Tip the butter, flour and parmesan into a food processor and pulse until you have a mixture resembling breadcrumbs (alternatively rub the butter into the flour and parmesan in a bowl using your fingers). Stir in the pine nuts and season with freshly ground black pepper.
5. When the ratatouille is ready, pour it into a gratin dish and sprinkle over the crumble mixture. Transfer to the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp.
6. Serve hot or warm, with a crisp green salad, or as an accompaniment to roast lamb, chicken or fish.
Rate This Recipe