- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- oil, for frying
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild green chillies, chopped
- 4-5 spring onions, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 450 g red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 pig's tails, 500g smoked bacon or pork, blanched and cut into 4cm chunks
- parsley, or Caribbean celery leaf, chopped
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- chives, or spring onions to garnish
For the dumplings
- 450 g flour
- water, to mix
1. For the red bean stew: heat a little oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions, seasoning peppers, spring onions and garlic until softened.
2. Add the bay leaves and stir well. Tip in the soaked kidney beans and add the pig tail, Caribbean celery leaves and hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
3. Pour over enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 1 hour 1 hour 30 minutes, until the beans and the meat are tender. Meanwhile prepare the dumplings.
4. For the dumplings: season the flour with salt in a bowl. Add enough water to make a soft dough, and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth.
5. Dust the work surface with flour and roll chunks of the dough into cylinders about 2cm in diameter. Cut into 1cm pieces.
6. Add the dumplings to the red beans along with the diced potato. Continue cooking until the dumplings are cooked through and the potatoes tender.
7. Serve hot, garnished with chives or spring onions.
Rate This Recipe