- Serves: Makes about 1 kg
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 week maturing time
- Effort: easy
- 500 g red cabbage, finely sliced
- 300 g apples
- 250 g cooked, peeled chestnuts, halved
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder, or paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250 g brown preserving sugar
- 400 ml red wine vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
The cabbage recipe is a great combination to a wider variety of meats that can be chunky and sometimes boring to consume. This recipe adds a tangy sweet zing to the palate and brings a beautiful colour to the plate. I have used my minimalist approach to the spices and have allowed the cabbage do the muscle work.
1. Put all the ingredients together in a large heavy-based pan and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes until the relish thickens.
2. Transfer the relish to warm dry jars and top with airtight lids. Label and leave to mature in a cool dark place for about a week before using.
3. Store for 6 months unopened. Once opened, store in the fridge and consume within 10 days.
Rate This Recipe