- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the spring rolls
- 4x20 g slices smoked salmon
- 400 g cooked red king crab meat
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 sheets Vietnamese rice paper
- 1 tsp lemon oil
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the chives sour cream
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
For the salad and dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinchblack mustard seeds
- pinch coriander seeds
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 stem asparagus, diced
- 1 lemon, juice only
- dash sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp crab bisque
- 4 plum tomatoes
- tsp fine capers
- 1 tbsp chopped chervil
- 1 tbsp small croutons
- mixed herb salad
- 8 asparagus
1. Lay a sheet of cling film on a work surface and arrange a slice of smoked salmon over it.
2. Spoon a quarter of the crabmeat on top and season with freshly ground black pepper; roll the smoked salmon around the crabmeat into a cigar shape. Repeat to make 4 rolls and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
3. Take a bowl and fill it with warm water. Add the lemon juice and some salt. Then take the rice paper sheets and soak them in the water for about 2 minutes, until they start to become soft and slightly transparent.
4. Remove and pat dry on a cloth.
5. Brush a square of cling film with lemon oil and place the rice paper onto it.
6. Unwrap a crab roll and place it on the sheet of rice paper. Roll together to make a cigar shape. Repeat with the other 3 crab rolls. The spring rolls can be served like this, or pan-fried in a little oil if preferred.
7. For the chives sour cream, mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
8. To make the dressing, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and tip in the mustard seeds and coriander. Fry for 2-3 minutes, until they start to pop.
9. Add the shallots and cook for 30 seconds, without colouring. Stir in the asparagus and cook for a further 30 seconds.
10. Add the lemon juice and sherry vinegar and cook for another 30 seconds. Stir in the crab bisque, olive oil, chopped tomato and capers.
11. Season to taste and stir in the chervil.
12. Toss the mixed herb salad in the asparagus dressing and add the croutons.
13. To assemble the dish, spread the sour cream onto 4 dinner plates. Top with lightly cooked asparagus spears. Remove the spring rolls from the cling film and place on top of the asparagus.
14. Place a small pile of salad leaves to the side of the plate, drizzle over a little extra salad dressing and serve.
Rate This Recipe