- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 whole red mullet, scaled and cleaned
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine kernels, toasted and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp currants
- 1 lemon, zest and half the juice
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the gremolata breadcrumbs
- 1 small bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 60 g breadcrumbs
1. Butterfly the mullet by splitting each fish open so it is flat but still joined together, and remove the bones. You can also ask your fishmonger to do this.
2. To make the gremolata breadcrumbs: mix all the ingredients together and keep aside until needed.
3. To make the stuffing: place the pine nuts, currants, lemon juice and zest in a bowl and add 3 tbsp of the gremolata breadcrumbs. Mix well but gently.
4. Place a spoonful of the stuffing inside each red mullet. Coat the fish with flour, then dip in egg and coat with the remaining gremolata breadcrumbs. Pan-fry the mullet in some olive oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Turn only once and take care to keep the stuffing in.
5. Serve the fried fish with a fresh salad.
Rate This Recipe