- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed
- 120 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100 ml water
- 250 ml orange juice
- 8 red mullet fillets
- 1 mild fresh red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 16 black olives, halved and de-stoned
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 16 large basil
- 1 lemon, peeled and segmented
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- sea salt and cayenne pepper
1. Cut the fennel bulb in half and, using a mandolin, slice 6 very thin slices, lengthways, from each half. Place the slices into a bowl, season and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Slice the remainder of the fennel, widthways and place into a small pan. Season well, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 100ml water and boil for 6-7 minutes until the fennel is soft.
3. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan, season the red mullet filets with salt and cayenne pepper and fry for 30 seconds on the flesh side. Turn and fry for 2-3 minutes on the skin side. Remove from the heat.
4. While the red mullet cooks, reduce the orange juice by half, add the remainder of the olive oil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chilli, olives, tomatoes and basil.
5. Place the raw fennel onto four large plates and scatter over the cooked fennel and citrus segments. Place the red mullet on top and spoon over the sauce.
Rate This Recipe