- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 675 g red onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 55 g demerara sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 oranges, grated zest and juice
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions, bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the onions have softened but not coloured.
2. Stir in the sugar, balsamic vinegar, red wine and the zest and juice of the orange. Cook for a further 1 hour and thirty minutes, uncovered until no liquid remains and the onions are a dark rich red colour. Stir frequently during the last half hour of cooking to prevent the onions from burning.
3. Cool the mixture and then transfer to sterilized jars and keep in the fridge until needed.
Rate This Recipe