- Serves: Makes 1 large jar
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 large red onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml red wine
- 60 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar, or caster sugar
1. In a heavy-bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion with a pinch of salt. Put a lid on and cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the red wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and a good twist of black pepper and reduce down for about 15 minutes over a low heat with the lid on.
3. Take the lid off, increase the heat to a medium heat and cook for a further 10 minutes or until you have a sticky jam-like consistency.
Like this? See lots more of our chutney recipes.
Rate This Recipe