- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 30 ml olive oil
- 4 red snapper fillets
For the refried beans
- 600 g black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 onions, 1 quartered, 1 finely chopped
- 1 pinches fennel seeds
- 1 small bunches parsley
- 1 whole heads garlic, halved horizontally
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 50 g butter
- fresh tomato salsa
- a few sprigs coriander
1. For the refried beans: put the drained beans into a large saucepan with the quartered onion, fennel seeds, parsley and garlic. Cover with at least 8cm water and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Add the salt and continue to simmer for a further 1 hour. Remove from the heat when the beans are soft and tender. Drain the beans and reserve the bean liquor.
3. Put the butter into a heavy-based pan and heat until it starts to foam.
4. Add the chopped onion and cook until it starts turning golden. Add the drained beans along with some of the bean liquor. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the fish fillets until cooked.
6. Serve the fish on small mounds of the refried beans, spoon over the fresh tomato salsa and garnish with a sprig of coriander.
Rate This Recipe