- Serves: Makes about 1 litre
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp chopped sage
- black pepper
1. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted add the onions and garlic. Gently fry for at least 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are very soft.
2. Stir in the flour, mixing thoroughly.
3. Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly. Pour in the wine, continuing to stir.
4. Add the herbs and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring now and again.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Rate This Recipe