- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 firm dessert pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- juice of 1 oranges
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 packet of mixed salad leaves
- 1 bunch of watercress, picked
- 115 g stilton cheese, crumbled
- 100 g walnut pieces, chopped
- warm bread and butter
For the raspberry dressing:
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
1. Place the pears gently into a saucepan. Add the red wine, cinnamon, sugar, cloves, orange juice and the grated zest of 1 orange and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the pears are just tender. Set aside the pears to cool in the wine.
2. Place the mixed salad leaves and watercress in a large salad bowl and scatter over the Stilton and walnuts.
3. Make the dressing by whisking together the raspberry vinegar and olive oil. Add a little of the red wine cooking liquid and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Toss the salad mixture with the raspberry dressing. Top the salad with the pears and sprinkle with the remaining orange zest.
5. Serve the pear salad with warm bread and butter.
Rate This Recipe