- Serves: makes 24 reindeer
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus chilling time
- Effort: medium
For the cakes:
- 700 g madeira, or any simple sponge, blitzed into crumbs in a food processor
- 175 g ready made buttercream
For the decoration:
- 700 g cooking chocolate
- 48 pieces of pretzels, to resemble antlers
- 24 red sweets, such as M&Ms or Smarties
- 48 white sprinkles
- black writing icing, or a black edible ink pen
Tips and Suggestions
See how to make perfect cake pops in Bakerella's cake pop gallery
1. For the cakes: Mix together the cake and buttercream until thoroughly combined. The mixture should be moist enough to roll in to 4cm balls and still hold a round shape. Place the balls on to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and let them rest for about 20 minutes before chilling. You can place them in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden, you want the balls firm but not frozen. Once firmed, move the balls to the refrigerator.
2. For the decoration: Melt the chocolate in a microwavable bowl, the coating should be about 7.5cm deep for easier dipping. When you are ready to dip, remove a few cake balls at a time from the refrigerator, keeping the rest chilled.
3. One at a time, dip about 12mm of the tip of a lollipop stick into the melted chocolate coating and insert the dipped end straight into a cake ball, pushing it no more than halfway through. Then dip the cake pop into the melted chocolate. Gently lift the pop out of the chocolate and tap off any excess: Hold it over the bowl in your left hand, and tap your left wrist gently with your right hand. The excess coating will fall off, but you will need to rotate the lollipop stick so the coating doesnt build up on one side, making it too heavy on that side. If too much coating starts to build up at the base of the stick, simply use your finger to wipe it off, spinning the lollipop stick at the same time.
4. Immediately attach 1 pretzel on each side of the reindeer head for antlers. Hold them in place until the chocolate coating sets. Stand the pop firmly in a hole in a the colander or into a styrofoam block.
5. Repeat with the remaining cake balls. Let the pops dry completely.
6. Using a toothpick, dot a small amount of the melted chocolate coating in position for the nose and attach 1 red candy. Hold the nose in place until the coating sets. Use a clean toothpick, dot a small amount of the chocolate coating in position for the eyes and attach 2 white miniature confetti sprinkles. Return to the styrofoam block or colander.
7. Repeat with the rest of your reindeer. To finish, use the edible-ink pen, draw on mouths and dot the eyes then let the cake pops dry completely.
Rate This Recipe