- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg rhubarb, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 oranges, juice only
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
For the custard
- 600 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 300 ml crème fraîche
- sprigs mint
- sponge fingers
1. Put the rhubarb, orange juice and sugar into heavy-based saucepan and simmer until the rhubarb starts to break down. Remove from pan and chill.
2. For the custard warm the cream with the split vanilla pod until small bubbles just begin to appear around the edges. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.
3. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until creamy and pale. Pour in the lukewarm cream and whisk, then return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat until it boils gently and thickens.
4. Pass through a sieve and chill.
5. Mix the cold custard and crème fraiche together until creamy and gently fold in the rhubarb saving some for the top.
6. To serve, spoon the mixture into martini glasses and top with a little of the reserved rhubarb, then garnish with mint sprigs and sponge fingers.
Rate This Recipe