- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the shortbread
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g semolina
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 225 g butter, softened
- 1 orange, grated zest only
For the fool
- 500 g rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 1 blood orange, juice and grated zest
- 1 tbsp preserved stem ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup, from the ginger jar
- 150 ml double cream, lightly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter a 15 x 20cm baking tray.
2. Place all the ingredients for the shortbread together in a food processor and whiz together until the mixture becomes a smooth dough.
3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tray and press down well. Bake for 30 minutes, until firm and golden.
4. Leave the shortbread to cool slightly, then cut into fingers. Remove from tin once fully cooled.
5. Meanwhile, place the rhubarb in a saucepan together with the orange juice and zest, ginger and ginger syrup.
6. Cover the pan and cook over a gentle heat for about 20 minute, until the rhubarb is soft.
7. Leave to cool.
8. When the rhubarb is completely cold, fold half of it into the whipped cream.
9. Divide the remaining rhubarb between 4 pretty dessert glasses.
10. Spoon the rhubarb and whipped cream mixture on top of this and chill for 30 minutes or so. Serve straight from the fridge, with the orange shortbread.
Rate This Recipe