- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hrs macerating
- Effort: easy
- 750 g rhubarb, sliced into 4cm by 0.5cm batons
- 250 g strawberries, halved
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 star anise
- caster sugar
- splashes elderflower syrup
- handfuls basil, roughly chopped
1. Place the strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle over with a little caster sugar. Cover with cling film and leave to macerate for two hours in the fridge.
2. Meanwhile, place the rhubarb in a saucepan and add enough elderflower syrup to just cover. Add the star anise, scrape in the vanilla seeds and add the pod to the pan as well. Gently poach the rhubarb over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is just tender. Add sugar to taste.
3. Transfer the rhubarb mixture to a bowl to cool, and discard the vanilla pod.
4. To serve, add the macerated strawberries to the bowl with the rhubarb and stir in the fresh basil.
Rate This Recipe