- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 600 g rhubarb, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 300 g white bread, thickly sliced and crusts removed
- 40 g butter, softened
- 300 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 eggs
- 300 ml double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Place the rhubarb, 100g of caster sugar and the water in a saucepan. Bring a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is just tender, but still holding its shape.
3. Generously butter the sliced bread. Cut the slices into triangles.
4. Place a layer of the bread triangles, slightly over-lapping, in an oven-proof dish.
5. Spoon over half of the cooked rhubarb, then layer with the remaining bread triangles. Spoon over the remaining rhubarb.
6. Slice open a vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
7. Place the vanilla seeds, vanilla pod and milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 10 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl.
9. Stir the cream into the infused milk and pour on to the egg mixture, stirring well.
10. Strain the egg mixture through a sieve over the bread and rhubarb, pressing the bread down gently if necessary.
11. Bake the pudding for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until just set. Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Rate This Recipe