- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour for macerating
- Effort: easy
For the compote
- 5 cm piece fresh root ginger, sliced
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 500 g rhubarb, halved lengthways and cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 ½ tbsp muscovado sugar
For the strawberries
- 750 g strawberries
- 1 lemon, juice only
- caster sugar, for dusting
- handfuls pistachio nuts, chopped
1. For the compote: place the compote ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook, without stirring (you can shake the pan), for 5 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender. Be careful not to overcook the rhubarb as it should retain its shape. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
2. When the rhubarb is cold, remove the ginger and the lemon peel and discard both.
3. For the strawberries: hull the strawberries, slice them in half, and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the lemon juice over them, along with a little sugar to taste and leave them to macerate for 1 hour.
4. Serve spoonfuls of the compote on each plate and arrange the macerated strawberries and pistachios on top.
Rate This Recipe