- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 750 g rhubarb
- zest and juice of 1 oranges
- knob of ginger
- 150 g caster sugar, plus 100g for the topping
- 100 g skinned hazelnuts
- 100 g butter, plus a little more to dot
- 100 g plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Cut the rhubarb into 5cm pieces and put into a baking dish. Grate the orange peel over them and squeeze over the orange juice.
2. Peel the ginger and cut it into very thin needles. Sprinkle over the rhubarb. Add 150g of the caster sugar sugar.
3. Toast the hazelnuts until just beginning to turn brown. Cool and grind in a blender to a fine powder. Put the ground hazelnuts, flour and 100g caster sugar for the topping into another bowl, and grate the butter into it. Mix thoroughly and layer evenly over the fruit. Dot with a little more butter and sprinkle just a pinch of salt over it.
4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is crumbly and golden. Serve with custard.
Rate This Recipe