- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 150 ml water
- 200 g caster sugar
- 450 g rhubarb, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 75 ml double cream
- grated zest of 1/2 lemons
- grated nutmeg
- 1 x 25cm blind-baked shortcrust pastry tart cases
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC/gas 2.
2. Make a syrup by mixing together the water and 100g sugar in a saucepan and heating it, stirring now and then, until the sugar dissolves.
3. Bring the syrup to the boil, add the rhubarb and cook it for three minutes in the syrup. Set aside to cool.
4. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining caster sugar. Whisk until light and fluffy and trebled in volume.
5. Fold in the cream and the lemon zest and season with nutmeg.
6. Strain the rhubarb and spread it the base of the blind-baked short-crust pastry case.
7. Pat down the rhubarb and then pour over the custard.
8. Dust the rhubarb flan with icing sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
9. Serve with cream or crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe