- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 prime rib of beef, about 2-2.5kg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4. Weight the beef and calculate the cooking time: it will take 15 minutes per 450g plus another 15 minutes for a medium-rare result.
2. Season the beef with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat oil in a large frying pan, then add the beef and sear until golden brown all over. Transfer to a roasting pan and cook for the time you calculated.
3. Once cooked, remove the joint from the pan, loosely cover with foil and set aside to rest in a warm place for 15-30 minutes.
4. Warm the frying pan used to sear the beef. Add the tomato purée, stirring it into the meat juices and cooking for a couple of minutes. Pour in the red wine and simmer for a few minutes to reduce. Add the beef stock and balsamic vinegar and simmer until the gravy is just lightly thickened. Stir in any cooking juices from the roasting pan.
5. Carve the beef into thick slices and serve with the gravy.
Rate This Recipe