- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 225 g red peas, (gungo beans or kidney beans)
- 50 g coconut cream, grated or finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs thyme, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 900 g cooked rice, (cooked weight)
1. Soak the gungo beans or kidney beans overnight in cold water and drain them the next day.
2. Simmer the beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water until they are tender, but not falling apart - about 45-60 minutes. Make sure the beans are covered by water throughout cooking; you may need to top the water up if necessary.
3. Drain the beans and transfer them back to the pan; stir in the coconut, thyme, garlic and spring onions. Add the cooked rice to the peas, and salt and pepper, to taste and stir over a medium heat for a minute or so to ensure the rice and beans are heated through. Remove the thyme and serve.
Rate This Recipe