- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus extra if making own chicken stock
- Effort: easy
- 700 ml fresh chicken stock, (cooked chicken reserved)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely sliced fresh ginger
- 1 quail's egg
- 100 g chicken breast fillets, sliced paper thin
- 100 g pork fillet, sliced paper thin
- 40 g pork kidney, sliced paper thin
- 100 g squid, sliced paper thin
- chopped cooked chicken, reserved from stock
- 50 g Chinese cured pork, or prosciutto, finely sliced
- 6 leaves baby bok choy
- 100 g wood ear mushrooms
- 1/4 bunch garlic chives, sliced into 3cm lengths
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 sheet tofu, skin, sliced
- 4 tbsp pickled vegetables
- 300 g fresh thin Chinese rice noodles
Tips and Suggestions
Make sure you skim the impurities off the top if youre making your own chicken stock for this recipe - a beautifully clear stock makes for a wonderful result.
Wood ear mushrooms are black on one side and tan on the other with a velvet textured skin. You can buy them dried at specialist Asian supermarkets - just soak them in hot water for 20 minutes to rehydrate them.
1. Heat the chicken stock in a saucepan; add 1/2 teaspoon salt, soy sauce, and ginger. Bring it to the boil then transfer to a large noodle bowl and bring to the serving table.
2. Crack the quail egg into a small bowl. Place sliced meats, calamari, baby bok choy, herbs, vegetables and noodles on small separate plates and place on the serving table.
3. Add the quail egg to the broth, followed by the meats, calamari, then the remaining ingredients, adding the rice noodles last. Combine well and distribute to share bowls. Garnish with coriander. Served as a shared meal.
Rate This Recipe