- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: plus 1 hr minimum freezing time
- Effort: hard
For the rice pudding ice cream
- 600 ml full-fat milk
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 40 g caster sugar
- 50 g short grain pudding rice
- 600 ml vanilla ice cream
For the raspberry coulis
- 225 g frozen raspberries
- 50 g icing sugar, sifted
- squeeze lemon juice
For the arctic roll
- 3 eggs, separated
- 100 g caster sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 25 g cornflour
- 200 g raspberry jam
- 250 g double cream, whipped
- 1 sprigs mint
- icing sugar, sifted
1. Bring the milk, butter and sugar to the boil. Add the rice and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice becomes soft.
2. Leave to cool completely. Mix the rice with the vanilla ice cream and churn in an ice cream maker for 15-20 minutes until thickened and increased in volume. Transfer to a freezer proof cylindrical container and freeze until ready to use.
3. To make the coulis, process the raspberries and sugar with a squeeze of lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Push through a sieve and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter a Swiss roll tin and line with baking parchment.
5. For the sponge, whisk the egg yolks and 75g of the sugar until thick and creamy.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff.
7. Sieve the plain flour and cornflour together and lightly fold into the egg-yolk mixture. Carefully fold in the whipped egg whites.
8. Spread the sponge mixture in the prepared tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
9. Spread the raspberry jam in a thin layer over the sponge.
10. Remove the ice cream from the container, sit the ice cream on top of the sponge and wrap the sponge around, cutting off any excess at the edges. Roll in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
11. Once frozen, remove the plastic wrap and cut into portions. Dust with icing sugar, decorate with a sprig of mint and serve with the raspberry coulis and thick fresh cream.
Rate This Recipe