- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 55 g risotto rice, (Arborio rice)
- 450 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 55 g unrefined caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 25 g unsalted butter
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- lemon juice, optional
For the compote
- 55 g sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 340 g blackberries
Tips and Suggestions
For a slightly fancier version, you can add a couple of eggs. When the rice is cooked, butter a pie dish. Beat 2 egg yolks into the rice. Whisk 2 egg whites and then fold them into the rice. Spoon into the pie dish and bake in the preheated oven at 160C/gas 3 for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
1. Put the rice, milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
2. Add the sugar, the seeds scraped from the vanilla pod and the pod itself.
3. Simmer until cooked, stirring regularly, about 45-50 minutes.
4. Remove the vanilla pod. (You can wash it and use again.)
5. Add the butter and grated nutmeg to taste, then pour into a dish and colour the top under a preheated grill until golden brown.
6. For the Compote: put the sugar, water and half of the blackberries into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
7. Blend with a hand-held mixer or put into a food processor and process until smooth. Strain through a sieve to remove the seeds.
8. Return mixture to a clean saucepan and bring it back to the boil, adding a little water if it is too thick or a squeeze of lemon juice, if necessary.
9. Add the rest of the blackberries and take off the heat immediately.
10. Serve the rice with the Blackberry compote in the centre or on the side.
Rate This Recipe