- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the rice pudding
- 330 ml milk
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pods, split and scraped
- 110 g short grain rice, well rinsed
- 125 g mascarpone
- 2 egg yolks
For the pears
- 2 large Comice pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 60 g caster sugar
For the caramel sauce
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 lemons, juice only
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 6 chestnuts, cooked
- 10 walnuts, fresh
1. To make the rice pudding, bring the milk to the boil with the caster sugar, scraped vanilla pod and seeds.
2. Add the rice and cook over a gentle heat for 20 minutes until soft, adding a little more milk if necessary.
3. Remove the vanilla pod and stir in the mascarpone. Add the egg yolks at the last minute.
4. For the pears, place the butter and caster sugar together in an ovenproof casserole and cook until the sugar melts and the mixture caramelises.
5. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Put the pears face down into the caramel. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until the pears are well coloured and starting to suck up the caramel. Turn the pears over; transfer them to the oven and roast for 15 minutes or so, until soft. Keep warm until needed, or leave to cool if you are going to heat them up later.
6. For the caramel sauce, heat the sugar and lemon juice together until the sugar has completely dissolved, and then increase the heat and continue to bubble until the mixture forms a dark caramel.7. Pour in the cream and stir continuously for 30 seconds over the heat. Remove from the heat, add the chestnuts and walnuts and set aside.
8. Serve the pears with a generous spoonful of rice pudding, and the caramel and nut sauce drizzled over the top.
Rate This Recipe