- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: including the carrots
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 yellow courgette, chopped
- 1 green courgette, chopped
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 1 litres vegetable stock
- 200 g risotto rice
- 110 g mature farmhouse cheddar cheese
- 25 g butter
- 450 g fresh broad beans, in pods
- 2 tbsp leaves torn basil
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
For the sweet roasted carrots (optional):
- 450 g young carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
1. Start by preparing the carrots if you are using them: Preheat the oven to 400°C/gas 6. In a roasting tin, toss the carrots with the olive oil and some seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, turning them occasionally, until just tender and golden.
2. About halfway through that cooking time, heat the oil in a large shallow pan and fry the onion gently until soft and golden. Add the chopped courgettes and fry over a high heat for 1 minute.
3. Pour in the wine and the stock, then stir in the rice. Season well, bring the contents of the pan to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is just tender. Drain off any excess liquid.
4. Add the cheese, butter and broad beans to the cooked rice and season to taste.
5. To serve, ladle into bowls, pile on the roasted carrots, if you have made them, and the basil. Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Rate This Recipe