- Serves: Makes 12-15 squares
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 200 g best quality dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids)
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 120 g soft unsalted butter
- 200 g vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 4 tbsp freshly made strong coffee
- handful of skinned hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Line the bottom and sides of a 30 x 22cm roasting pan or baking dish with kitchen foil.
3. Break the chocolate into pieces and gently melt in a double boiler or in a bowl set over simmering water.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
5. Cream the butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until really light and fluffy.
6. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the extra yolk. Pour in the melted chocolate and the coffee. Fold in the sifted flour.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Scatter the hazelnuts over the top, gently pushing them into the dough.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes. Test with a skewer - it shouldn't come out completely clean but the mixture should not feel raw. (It will go on cooking after you take it out of the oven.)
9. Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
Rate This Recipe