- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus setting
- Effort: easy
- 140 g vanilla sugar
- 3 whole eggs, separated, plus 3 extra egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 200 ml double cream
- 85 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 225 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp armagnac
- 125 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 50 g dark chocolate, grated
1. Put 55g of the sugar, all 6 egg yolks, the cocoa powder and the cream together in a bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
2. Whisk the mixture continuously until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
3. Remove from the heat and add the butter and chocolate pieces, a little at a time, whisking until melted and fully incorporated.
4. Stir in the armagnac.
5. Whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the remaining sugar a little at a time, and continue to whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy and meringue-like.
6. Fold the meringue lightly but thoroughly into the chocolate mixture.
7. Spoon the mixture into a large serving bowl or individual glasses and refrigerate until set.
8. Decorate with a swirl of whipped cream and some grated chocolate.
Rate This Recipe