- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 48 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 225 g dark chocolate, melted
- 225 g butter
- 225 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 large eggs
- 225 g chopped hazelnuts, toasted
For the chocolate cream coating
- 225 g dark chocolate
- 125 ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Lightly butter a 23cm spring-form cake tin and line the base with non-sticking baking parchment.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water; leave to cool.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in the cooled chocolate and vanilla essence.
6. Add the eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
7. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until risen and springy to the touch.
9. Meanwhile, gently heat the cream and chocolate together over a very low heat, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
10. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin. Turn the cake out and spread the chocolate cream over the top.
11. Serve in slices with plenty of whipped vanilla flavoured cream, or ice cream.
Rate This Recipe