- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g good quality dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 125 g butter
- 4 eggs, separated, plus 1 whole egg
- 175 g caster sugar
- double cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the bowl doesnt come into direct contact with the water or the heat will be too fierce). As soon as the chocolate is melted, set aside to cool.
3. In a clean, dry, grease-free bowl, whisk the 4 egg whites to stiff peak stage then whisk in 100g of the sugar until glossy.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the 4 egg yolks plus the whole egg and the remaining 75g of sugar.
5. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture then fold in the egg whites.
6. Pour the batter into a ungreased 20cm cake tin.
7. Bake in the oven for 30-35mins or until just set in the centre.
8. Serve warm or cold with double cream.
Healthy tip: As part of a healthy balanced diet eat this cake as an occasional treat or in small amounts. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
Rate This Recipe