- Serves: makes 1 litre
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 24 hrs chilling then freezing
- Effort: medium
- 375 ml milk
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 5 egg yolks
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 185 ml whipping cream
Tips and Suggestions
Raw or lightly cooked eggs should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids and pregnant women, because of the risk of salmonella poisoning.
1. Combine the milk, coffee and half the sugar in a medium-sized pan and bring to just below boiling point. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized heatproof bowl, combine the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and beat them together until they are pale and at 'ribbon' consistency (thick enough to form a raised pattern on the surface when it falls back from the whisk).
3. Pour the cooled mixture in a thin continuous stream into the egg yolks and sugar, whisking continuously.
4. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and, using a small wooden spoon, stir the custard until it has thickened.
5. Once it has thickened, place the bowl in a few inches of cold water and stir it to reduce the temperature. Pour the custard into a jug and place in the fridge overnight.
6. Stir the cream into the custard and place in an ice cream machine or in a plastic container and place in the freezer (if you're using a plastic container, keep removing the ice cream every 20 minutes and stir the mixture until frozen).
Rate This Recipe