- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 150 g unsalted butter, , slightly melted, plus butter for frying
- 120 g plain flour, sifted
- 60 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- a pinch of salt
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the ricotta stuffing:
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 100 g caster sugar
- 30 g cubed dried fruit
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the butter, flour, sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and salt. Cream together with a wooden spoon.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the beaten egg whites into the creamed butter mixture, making a thick, smooth batter.
3. Heat a little butter in a small frying pan. Pour in a small ladleful of the mixture into the pan and tilt the pan to spread it evenly.
4. Cook the batter until set, turn over and fry for 1 more minute then remove from the pan and roll onto a cone-shaped wooden mould (or anything which will give you a suitable cone shape) and allow to cool. Once cool, remove the cornetto from the mould.
5. Repeat the process until all the mixture has been used up.
6. Now make the filling. Place the ricotta in a large bowl. Mix in the caster sugar, dried fruit and chocolate, using a fork to mix together thoroughly.
7. Fill each cooled cornetto with a little of the ricotta mixture. Place the filled cornetti on a serving plate, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe