- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the granola
- 300 g demerara sugar
- 150 ml water
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 800 g rolled oats
- 250 g pecans, walnuts and blanched flaked almonds, chopped
For the banana syrup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bananas
- 200 ml maple syrup
For the ricotta pancakes
- 500 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 500 ml milk
- 150 g ricotta cheese, crumbled
- butter, or vegetable oil
1. Make the granola first: preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
3. Combine the sugar and water in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely. Increase the heat to simmering and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, and syrup mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Spread the granola onto the baking trays and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden and crunchy. Remove and allow to cool. When granola has cooled completely, store in an airtight container.
6. For the banana syrup: melt the butter in a sauté pan or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bananas and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the maple syrup and cook for about 1 minute, or until the syrup is hot and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and reserve.
7. For the ricotta pancakes: sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together.
8. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer or whisk until stiff but not dry.
9. Beat the egg yolks, milk, and ricotta together in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently with a large spoon.
10. Stir a spoonful of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
11. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until hot. Grease with butter or vegetable oil.
12. Pour 2 tablespoons batter per pancake onto the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes over. Cook on the other side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
13. Serve immediately topped with the banana syrup and granola.
Rate This Recipe