- Serves: 4 - 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking and cooling
- Effort: easy
- 125 g raisins
- 75 ml Brandy or Grappa brandy
- 3 eggs, and 1 egg yolk
- 300 g caster sugar
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250 g well-drained ricotta cheese, beaten until smooth
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp pine kernels, toasted
- 3 tbsp whole pistachio nuts, shelled
- cinnamon, for dusting
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Soak the raisins in the brandy, for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6.
3. Using an electric whisk beat together the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar until the mixture forms a ribbon when it falls from the whisk.
4. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in thoroughly.
5. Beat in the ricotta until well-mixed. Fold in the lemon zest, vanilla extract, pine nuts, pistachios, raisins and the brandy or grappa in which they were soaked.
6. Transfer the mixture to a greased and floured 25cm cake tin.
7. Bake the cake for 45 minutes until set. Test with a skewer that the cake is cooked through.
8. Turn out the cake and cool on a wire rack.
9. Dust with cinnamon and icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe