- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 litres good quality chicken or beef stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 600 g risotto rice, (preferably vialone nano)
- 100 g parmesan, freshly grated
- black pepper
- 100 g cooked peas
- 80 g mozzarella, diced
- 50 g mushrooms, fried until soft
- 50 g Parma ham, chopped
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200 g dried breadcrumbs
- olive oil, for brushing
1. Put the stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and keep the stock hot whilst making the risotto.
2. Heat half of the butter in a frying pan over a very low heat and fry the onion for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft but not coloured.
3. Stir in the rice and toast the grains thoroughly on all sides, so that they are opaque but not coloured.
4. Add the first ladle full of hot stock and stir it in. Then continue adding the stock, letting the rice absorb the liquid and all its flavour, stirring constantly.
5. When the rice is almost completely soft and creamy, stir in the cheese and the rest of the butter. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cover and rest for about 3 minutes before transferring to a platter to cool.
6. Once the risotto is cool, stir in the peas, mozzarella, mushrooms and chopped Parma ham.
7. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Roll the rice mixture into balls about the size of satsumas and then roll in flour to coat. Dip the risotto balls into the beaten egg and coat thoroughly with dried breadcrumbs.
8. Arrange on an oiled baking sheet, brush gently with olive oil, and then bake for about 10 minutes in a hot oven until crisp and golden brown. Serve hot.
Rate This Recipe